Saturday, July 29, 2006

Prophets


Here's the first post to my blog, Imelda's Brain. I chose my painting "Prophets" to start off with. It was a painting I had hoped to be ' one in a series' and I love the muddy, rocky, stoney look of it.
This painting was from statues I saw on the side of a church in Segovia. It was during a trip to Spain, 2002. I considered it my last vacation because from then on my life changed dramatically.
Generally, I don't think of my life as very dramatic. My husband, Wil, had been diagnosed with Lewy Body Dementia the year before. I cried a lot, for him, for myself and then it came to me: he was still relatively healthy and able to walk. I'd better make hay while the sun was shining. So I planned this trip, just two weeks. I had to pare down my usual grandiose plans. I chose Segovia, a city I had visited many times before but never really spent any time in. And Sepulveda, a nearby hill town that I read also was rich in Romanesque churches. I was on, and still am, this Romanesque kick.
So I traveled with my husband, his brain riddled with those damn lewy bodies, the beginnings of the parkinson's making the word 'hill town', a sad and terrible joke. He had a great time except for the aforementioned hills while I was constantly riddled with fears and worries about him. I had so many trepidations that I even found an internet cafe so I could write to my Lewy Body support group. Somewhere in the middle of complaining to them I realized what an idiot I was. I WAS IN SPAIN! No matter how limited or difficult our trip was, we were there and we could enjoy it. After all, it was going to be my last vacation for a long long time.
So the prophets foretold anyway.
P.S. WHAT! You don't know what Lewy Body Dementia is? Check out http://www.lewybodydementia.org

3 comments:

dowhat327 said...

Interesting picture. How big is it?

Unknown said...

48X24 and heavy because I painted it on Masonite. I have learned my lesson. You too, dowha, have a blog. I think you should write in it more.

Chaska Peacock said...

Well, I am jealous of my friend
Imelda because she came up with such a perfect name for her blog!

As much as I would like to take credit for how my website on a tweaked blogspot platform looks, I paid a bit of money to have it done for me....actually, quite a bit. The only aspect I do is update the blog part....write and put up appropriate photos. I think this particular blog is pretty boring, so if you think otherwise, I would greatly appreciate your leaving encouraging words.
Mai-Liis
http://www.mai-liis.com